Last night the Space Shuttle Discovery lifted off in one of the most beautiful launches I've ever seen! We normally drive up so that we're right across the water from KSC and we can see the shuttle on the pad with the help of binoculars. Last night though, we decided to go for a different view on the beach instead. It was so beautiful! The sun was setting and was pretty much out of sight, but when the shuttle got high into the orbit the sunset reflected on all of the smoke so that part of it was glowing red and orange. Also, I normally can never see the solid rocket boosters as they fall back into the ocean, or I just barely see them, but last night we had a perfect view. They were glowing almost all of the way down. I just wish I had taken my camera with me!
If you know Hunter, you know he's a pretty low key person. He gets very excited at the launches though! He started talking to Eleanor and he told her, "That will be you one day!" Of course he didn't mean in a shuttle since they retire next year, but he says he'll be happy if all of our children leave us to go off and live in space. I'm not quite sure I'm in agreement... :) He also pointed out that this is one thing we can be really proud of in America, and it's true. There's a lot of other stuff in this country that I'm not so sure about, but at least we have made some major advances in science.
If you've ever been to see a shuttle launch in Florida, you know how many people go. The beaches are packed with people, and cars are pulled off everywhere along the roads and bridges to watch the show. Whenever I notice that I always think about the Challenger and what it must have been like for the thousands of people who gathered to watch it. I don't remember the Challenger, mainly because I lived overseas at the time, but I have watched a video of it and I can't imagine what it must have been like to see that live.
If you know Hunter, you know he's a pretty low key person. He gets very excited at the launches though! He started talking to Eleanor and he told her, "That will be you one day!" Of course he didn't mean in a shuttle since they retire next year, but he says he'll be happy if all of our children leave us to go off and live in space. I'm not quite sure I'm in agreement... :) He also pointed out that this is one thing we can be really proud of in America, and it's true. There's a lot of other stuff in this country that I'm not so sure about, but at least we have made some major advances in science.
If you've ever been to see a shuttle launch in Florida, you know how many people go. The beaches are packed with people, and cars are pulled off everywhere along the roads and bridges to watch the show. Whenever I notice that I always think about the Challenger and what it must have been like for the thousands of people who gathered to watch it. I don't remember the Challenger, mainly because I lived overseas at the time, but I have watched a video of it and I can't imagine what it must have been like to see that live.
No comments:
Post a Comment