Although I've written letters in the past, this is the first time I've ever actually called a politician. This morning I called our governor to ask him to veto SB6 / HB 7189, which passed at 2:30 AM last night. I have also emailed twice and I have a letter waiting to go out in the mail. Why?
- This bill would end compensation for teachers based on advanced degrees and years of experience. What incentive is there now for teachers to improve themselves? What incentive is there for experienced teachers to stay in the field?
- This bill would end teacher tenure. In some ways I can see how this is beneficial - after all, I do know a few teachers who have been teaching forever and really need to go but they are protected by tenure. But what's to protect a teacher from being let go because lots of parents complained about the teacher after their child didn't get the grade that s/he "deserved"? I even know teachers whose students have acknowledged this, saying, "So I can get a teacher fired if I just do badly on the test?"
- This bill would make teacher pay dependent on student test scores. There are so many issues here. First of all, this means we would have to create tests for students at EVERY grade level and in every subject. Think about that. These kids are tested to death as it is! And where does the money for this come from when our budgets are already in serious trouble? Furthermore, while it might sound nice in theory for teachers to be paid based on the "learning gains" of their students, this is hardly fair to teachers who teach at schools with low parental involvement or have students with special needs. How can teachers teach when parents don't read with their children or put them to bed on time? Where is the component for parental accountability? And what about those students who are learning but fail to demonstrate this when it comes time for a test?
The proponents of this bill keep saying that they want to protect teachers. Funny, but every teacher I know is completely against it.
If you feel the same way I do, please call and/or email Governor Crist. All you need to say is, "Please veto SB 6." He said he was going to sign the bill, but he is supposedly having second thoughts now due to the overwhelming amount of feedback he has received.
850-488-7146
Charlie.Crist@eog.myflorida.com

1 comment:
I'm not a teacher but I could see why teachers would be up in arms about his bill. I have thought about going back for teaching but I don't know now...there are so many budget problems in the school systems that I'm not even sure that I could find a job as a teacher in Georgia. Good for you for calling! Nothing happens in the world unless you make your opinion known...well, sometimes that doesn't even matter! The health care reform bill was passed!
Post a Comment