Friday, August 14, 2009

Cloth is a success!

Eleanor has been wearing cloth diapers for just over two weeks now, and so far I love them! Somebody recently asked me why I like cloth so much, and here are my reasons:

  1. They don't contribute to our landfills! Disposable diapers are the #3 item in landfills, after drink containers and newspaper (or maybe all paper? I can't remember). Think about what a small percentage of the population wears diapers - yet, they are contributing huge amounts of trash.
  2. They don't leave human waste in landfills, leading to health and environmental hazards.
  3. I would much rather have cloth touching my baby's skin than all those nasty chemicals.
  4. Babies who wear cloth get virtually no diaper rash. Or so I've been told. I can't vouch for that myself after only 2 weeks, but so far, so good.
  5. The $$$ savings! Eleanor's cloth supply cost about $450 total, and we did get the fancy kind. (You can spend a LOT less if you don't mind folding diapers.) That's what about 9 months of disposable diapers would cost, and these are all of the diapers we'll ever need for ALL of our kids, assuming they last well. (Well, I do plan to use disposable for travel, but that's not very much.) Plus, I registered for these at Target and received them ALL as gifts or with a gift card. So, I will not be spending a penny on diapers!
  6. They are so easy! Cloth diapers have come a LONG way. These go on just like disposables, and they close with velcro. When I take them off I just dump them into a trashcan lined with a wetbag. Then every other day I wash the diapers and throw the wetbag in the wash as well. Eventually when she's eating solids I will have to scrape off the poop, but we'll either use flushable liners or get one of those toilet sprayer things for that so it won't be a big deal. The only thing that takes a little time and is a little gross is that I have to take the absorbant inserts out of the diapers as I throw them into the washer. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes and then I immediately wash my hands. No big deal. When they're dry it takes about 10 minutes to stuff them all back again with their liners, and then we're good to go for 2 more days!
  7. They're just as easy to use on outings as disposables. I have a wetbag I keep in the diaper bag, and you just put the dirty diapers in there. I wouldn't want to use them for travel, but even a day trip would be fine.

Eleanor sporting one of her cute cloth diapers:

Clean and ready to use
(Those are wipes on the bottom right. I have a solution in a spray bottle that I spray on them before using.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO GLAD you love your CDs. We do too! I wanted to tell you that whenever you need the scraper/sprayer let me know and I can get my husband to tell me how to build one. We spent about $20-25ish (I think- it might have actually been less) on the parts of a sprayer and Travis attached it to the toilet himself. It was much cheaper that way and it works great! I don't have to use it too often because our diapers are fleece lined. If yours are like that, then you shouldn't have to spray too often either. The poop doesn't stick and you just pick it off with a kleenex (sorry for the TMI other blog comment readers.) We use our CDs all the time unless we are out and when Sam sleeps at night- he is a big pee pee king and his bed is soaked when I get up. In fact, we had to switch him to nighttime disposies before he was technically big enough because he peed through those too. HA!! Anyway, I am glad you enjoy your CDs.
Steph

Emily said...

Yay for cloth! I can't wait to use ours...I'm so glad it's working out for you.