Saturday, October 8, 2011

Randomness

Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but I'm not up for writing a very coherent post.  So, here are random thoughts and updates from the last few days:
  • We got to go home from the hospital on Thursday and everything went very smoothly.  Eleanor was happy to see us, and she had picked out a balloon and flowers for us (thanks to her Grandma).  We were all happy to be back home together!  She mostly ignores Arthur, but she does occasionally narrate what he's doing.  "Arthur is sleeping in the swing!"  "She is drinking milk from Mama!"  "Mama is changing her diaper!"  (Poor Arthur is always "she" or "her".  We're working on that.)
  • I've said this every time I've gone to the hospital, but labor and delivery nurses are amazing people.  At least, all of the ones that I had are.  (Minor exception:  I wasn't thrilled when one nurse referred to Arthur as my "second baby."  She had obviously seen my history if she knew that he wasn't my first.)  The nurse who helped me get through labor was especially amazing and I'm not sure I could have pushed Arthur out without her coaching.  She even made me feel better about the whole no epidural thing, because she said that if I had one she wasn't sure if I would have been able to push him out since I wouldn't have been able to feel what I was doing.  You could tell that this nurse enjoys what she does, because she was there again the morning we were leaving and quickly got up from the nurses station to come see us and say goodbye.
  • While we were waiting on a few final things before being discharged from the hospital, I took a walk down the hallway.  The room where Ada was born was empty and I stopped outside for a few minutes.  (Eleanor and Arthur were both born in the same room next door.)  It's amazing how clear all of my memories still are of those 32 hours I was in labor with her.  It's bittersweet, because the happiest and saddest moments of my life all took place on that same hallway. 
  • Arthur is the sweetest little baby!  I love, love holding him.  He is also an amazing eater!  He nursed for about an hour right after he was born, and other than some pain while latching  we've had no real issues.  It has been way easier than it was with Eleanor!  Also, he already goes 3-4 hours between feeding (most of the time), whereas it was usually every 2 hours with Eleanor.  Eleanor always took 45-60 minutes to nurse, but with Arthur it's usually 20-40 minutes; I think he's just a more efficient eater.
  • Arthur had his first appointment with our pediatrician yesterday and everything looks great.  He weighed 8lbs 7oz, the same as when he left the hospital the day before, so I'm not worried at all about him getting back up to his birth weight quickly.
  • Sleep is getting better - last night was actually pretty great.  He ate at midnight but it did take us until 2:30 to get him to sleep.  Then he woke up at 4:00, ate and went right back to sleep, and slept until I woke him up again to eat at 8:00.  I may have gotten more sleep last night than the first 3 nights combined!
  • I put on a pair of regular jeans yesterday - admittedly, a pair that was big on me when I got pregnant with Arthur - and I was able to zip them up!  They were a little snug in the waist so I didn't keep them on, but I was excited anyway.  It helped make all of those painful contractions while breastfeeding worth it!
  • At 4 days old, my tall boy has already outgrown his newborn diapers.  They fit around him fine, but were so short they barely covered his bottom and you can imagine what that leads to.  ;)  (We'll switch to cloth once the cord stump is gone.)

2 comments:

Emily said...

1. I'm sorry about the afterpains while nursing. They SUCK! I swear they were worse than labor. I'm sure they told you, but ibuprofen is safe when nursing. I took it frequently until my afterpains went away.
2. Has your pain when latching been addressed/fixed?
3. Glad to hear everything's going well :-)

Sarah Baroi said...

We loved our labor and delivery nurses as well. I went through so many nurses I can't keep count but the one that was with me through pushing was great. (I took so long to get into active labor that I kept being dropped by the nurses when there other patient would get further along. It was pretty funny) She really helped me get through the 3.5 hours of pushing.