We've decided to take a break from potty training. Somehow the magical 3-day method turned into the 12-day method, and we weren't much better off than Day 1. The most frustrating part was that there were a few days in there when Eleanor had very few or no accidents, but the following day she would have 9 or 10! At the time I just reminded myself that it was normal to have ups and downs and that the most important thing for me to do was to be consistent and stay positive with her. However, I am a human being and it was becoming exceedingly difficult to remind her to pee in the potty with a smile on my face and without letting my frustration show.
(On a side note, Hunter and I have laughed at ourselves for now using toddler language when we're just talking between the two of us. "Did she go pee pee in the potty when you put her to bed?" This is the man who used to insist that he was going to use the words "urinate" and "toilet" with our kids.)
So, after something like 20 loads of laundry, countless accidents, and major cabin fever on both of our parts, I finally give up. I was starting to feel like we were pushing her, and I never wanted this to be a negative experience for Eleanor in any way. Also, a few days of staying at home and letting her have accidents was fine, but she and I only left the house about 3 times in 12 days and I think we were both dying to get out. In hindsight, I'm not sure that she was physically ready for this at 24 months. So yes, I'm going to have two kids in diapers, but I know that's not the end of the world. We'll probably try again once Arthur is a couple of months old and things have settled down around here, unless Eleanor initiates it herself. She is such an amazing little girl, and I just want us to enjoy our time together without adding unnecessary stress. And believe me, poop on the carpet (which happened for the first time today) = unnecessary stress.
1 comment:
I'm right there with you. As much as I'd love to dive into potty training (I like the boot-camp approach), Lucy's just not ready. As in, she hates for me to change her, so she'll deny being wet/dirty. Drives me nuts. So I figure until the day when she decides to start telling me she needs to be changed, and/or it starts to bother her, we're going to stick with diapers. I'm just as sick of diapers as the next person, but until she's more ready, it just seems like the chances of success are too low to make it worth the hassle. So you have my sympathy! I do have to admit it makes me feel a teensy bit better to see another child their age still in diapers- seems like everyone's potty-training these days, and I don't like the idea of being more behind the curve. So in my selfish little way I'm glad to know maybe we'll be re-attacking together in the future!
Post a Comment