Day 7
Friday was our last full day in Puerto Rico and it also happened to be my birthday! It turned out to be the best day of our whole trip and probably one of my best birthdays ever.
First of all, Eleanor woke up with the sun just like every other day in Puerto Rico before 6 AM. We flew east for over 2 hours to get to PR, but the time never changed - that calls for some pretty early sunrises and sunsets. Like every other morning that week, we tried to get her to go back to sleep by letting her get in bed with us. This usually ended up with her using us as a jungle gym, but on my birthday she snuggled up next to me, put her thumb in her mouth, and fell back asleep - until 8:00! What a wonderful birthday present.
After a completely indulgent breakfast at Dunkin Donuts, we headed out to the art museum. (We finally found it!) Eleanor didn't think too highly of the galleries, but she did enjoy the children's interactive areas and the gardens.
I wrote that with my left hand, so don't mock my handwriting.
(Not that it's much better with my right...)
She REALLY liked the koi fish!
After lunch at a tasty little local place that included a small slice of cake (for my birthday!), we drove out of the city - just in time for E's nap. We had this very cool view of El Morro, the fort we visited on Day 2, from across the bay.
Finally, the best part of all! It was a little difficult to find, but we finally found these cliffs on the northern coast of PR and the "Cave of the Indian." This is one of those tourist destinations in PR that is not very well known, so we had the place to ourselves. It was amazing!
The ground shook with these waves.
Pictures don't do it justice!
Eleanor enjoyed the waves too!
It took a while to find, but here's the cave!
Supposedly there are native Taino drawings inside.
But we would not know, because we're not this brave!
(Don't worry, we would have taken turns and not taken Eleanor down there!)
(Don't worry, we would have taken turns and not taken Eleanor down there!)
Day 8
We went home on Saturday. I don't have any pictures from our last day, but we basically just went downtown in search of a painting and then flew home. We had been looking for a painting all week, and we found one that we like that's going up in our living room!
The flight home was...well, one of the worst ones ever. The flight itself was fine, but it was from 2:20-5:20, prime nap time, and Eleanor never napped. Instead, she screamed. For at least an hour. It was her 6th flight ever, but it's the only one that has been bad. Halfway through it I vowed to never to fly again with a kid between the ages of 1 and 3. (I know traveling with an infant is easy, and I assume it gets easier when they're old enough to reason with and keep entertained.) I'm sure I'll change my mind one of these days, but I haven't yet...
Despite the fact that the trip ended on a bit of a bad note, it really was great! If I had it to do over I'd change a few things, but I'm so glad we were able to visit so many amazing places. Puerto Rico is beautiful!
1 comment:
I'm glad you had such a great time in PR!
I wish our trip there hadn't been so short...we didn't get to see enough of the island to really form a good impression of it.
I totally understand how miserable flying can be with a toddler. On our last trip to PA, Lucy was AWESOME for the trip up- as she usually is on plane rides. The way home, though, was a nightmare- she fussed and screamed and threw things- and because she was a lap baby I had to hold her while she thrashed around. The whole time Brett kept saying, "never again!"
Post a Comment