Monday, July 16, 2012

Happy birthday, baby girl

Four years ago today, after 32 hours of labor, we held our tiny little firstborn baby.  She was born at 24 weeks and weighed 1 lb 10 oz.  We named her Ada Elizabeth and, a few days later, scattered her ashes at this beach at sunrise.  Every year we come back on her birthday to remember and honor her.







I remember sitting on the beach holding her ashes in my hand and imagining what it would be like to bring her little siblings here on her future birthdays.  They're even more beautiful than I imagined.

Figuring out that sand doesn't taste good
We tried to tell him, but I guess there are some things in life you have to figure out for yourself.  ;)


These people came along and found at least 2 sea turtle nests on the beach.  Very exciting!


Today I prepared 4 boxes to take over to the hospital (since Ada would be 4 years old) for parents who are there to deliver stillborn babies.  Each one has a blanket to wrap up their baby with, a book that really helped me, a journal, a handprint mold kit, and a candle to burn in their baby's memory.  I have thought about doing this in years past, but this will be the first time I've actually done it.  I really hate the thought of these boxes ever being used, but I do hope it helps parents who have to go through this painful process.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Happy Birthday, Ada!
The boxes are such a sweet and giving idea, Beth.