It seems like Eleanor has grown up SO much in the past month or so! She is definitely all toddler now and no longer a baby. Here are a few highlights. (I realize this might be a little wordy and not terribly interesting to everybody, but this blog also sort of serves as a journal of Eleanor's life.)
- She has started paying attention to the doll I got her for her birthday. She loves to carry "Baby" all over the house and put her in various baskets, the doll stroller, the Bumbo, etc. She's also learning to change the baby's clothes (well, mainly to take them off), so I got her another outfit for her doll for Christmas.
- Speaking of changing clothes, Eleanor now has opinions on what she wears. I still pick her clothes out for the most part, but sometimes she'll bring me a shirt (pronounced without the all-important 'r'...), shoes, a hairbow, or a hat she wants to wear.
- She follows directions really well now. When I say, "Let's go change your diaper" she walks to the changing table, and "Let's go get in the car" gets her walking towards the garage. This might seem small to some people, but I'm so glad I don't have to carry her everywhere anymore! Also, she knows what it means when we say, "Go put the book back on the shelf," but a few times her response has been a big "NO!" and a stomp of the foot. That's the only thing she's ever said no to, by the way.
- She wants to be "down" more often than she wants to be carried or in the stroller. In fact, today we went to the zoo and I didn't even take the stroller. I just used a backpack for a diaper bag and she walked all over the place! She is really good about holding my hand when I ask her to (even if she protests while doing it), and if we're in a new place she'll usually even reach her hand up to me and say, "hand", as if to ask me to hold her hand. She's not very big on running off on her own, thankfully!
- Eleanor has gotten really good at communicating what she wants. She now nods her head sometimes to say yes - it's so funny! She says "'gain" after a song or reading a book if she wants to do it again. There have been a few times lately that she's come into the kitchen and said, "drink" to me, meaning that she wants me to fix her a drink, and the other day when I was brushing her teeth she reached to take the toothbrush from me and said, "do it."
- She still can't run, but when you tell her to run she laughs and starts walking slightly faster. I guess we're getting there. :)
- Eleanor has several loveys (those security blanket things with a bear's head in the middle), but she is particularly attached to one that a student gave me. I named it Osito (little bear in Spanish), and she now calls it, "SEEEE-toh". When I told her it was time for a nap today and that we were going to go find Osito, she started saying his name over and over again and went straight to the stairs.
- This morning for the first time she opened the door to our bedroom. My main form of baby-proofing is to keep all of the doors closed - our bedroom, the bathroom, the closet with all the cleaners, the laundry room... Life is about to get much more interesting! She was SO proud of herself too!
- Ever since our visit to the Georgia Aquarium she has had a minor obsession with whales. There are some on one of her crib sheets, on the quilt on her wall, and on her world map in her room. She loves to point them out! Hunter and I have both showed her videos of whales on YouTube, and the other day I found her trying to pry his laptop open and going, "Way-uls! Way-uls! Way-uls!" Apparently that's what she thinks computers are for, and she must think that Hunter and I sit around looking at videos of whales whenever we're on our computers. :)
1 comment:
Time passes so quickly. I love the new picture of her. I think she looks like Hunter. :)
Post a Comment