Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Mother's Day Flowers

For Mother's Day, Hunter got me an awesome gift - my own flowerbed!  I have always wanted to have  flowers in our yard, but I am *not* the one in this family with a green thumb.  It's just not the kind of thing I would ever take the time to do.  So, Hunter surprised me and started on it yesterday while I took the kids to a birthday party.  He spent several hours digging out grass and roots and then added garden soil and fertilizer (50 lbs of composted cow manure, 25 lb of peat moss, 50 lbs of garden soil, and 1 lb of some fertilizer).  Today we went to pick out flowers and then Eleanor and I planted them.  He also says he'll help me keep it alive, so there is hope that this flowerbed will survive!  :)  I look forward to there being enough flowers that I can cut a few off and have fresh flowers in the house.

Hunter said he thought this was a good gift because it's something that I can work on with the kids.  We both agreed that it's probably a better choice than a Kindle or device of some kind that will just take my attention away from them.  :)

What makes this flowerbed even mores special is its location.  When we got Ada's ashes from the funeral home, they were in a plastic bag.  (Fancy, huh?)  We scattered her ashes at the beach, but we rinsed out the bag in this spot in the backyard.  It wasn't much at all, but it's special to me that there's a little bit of Ada in my Mother's Day flowerbed.  I also made sure to get several kinds of flowers that attract butterflies, which always remind me of her.  I love all 3 of my children!

Flowers waiting to be planted


Eleanor helping Hunter with some final preparations before the planting began

Arthur helped too!

Look at that face!

I think I got a little distracted from the flower planting...

Planting some bulbs
(That is very stained dress, by the way, in case you were wondering why I let my kid dig in the dirt in a white dress.)
 

Eleanor enjoyed planting the bulbs.

Somebody's going through a refusing-to-look-at-the-camera stage

Final product
There are lots of bulbs planted in there - I'll have to do an update at the end of the summer!


No comments: