Sunday, August 15, 2010

101 Goals in 1001 Days

I recently heard the idea of making a list of 101 goals for yourself to complete in 1001 days.  It's kind of like New Year's Resolutions, only a little more doable because you have a longer timeline - almost 3 years - in which to complete your goals.  Many of these are things I've never done but always wanted to do or meant to do, while others are things I've done before but it's just been a while.  I tried to only list things that are quantifiable, not generalities like, "Be a nicer person."

Feel free to leave additional ideas in the comments!  I haven't come up with 101 goals yet!

To be completed by May 12, 2013
  1. Finish Eleanor's quilt (yeah, already a year late on that one!)
  2. Finish Eleanor's scrapbook
  3. Back up all my digital photos  Woohoo!  First goal accomplished!  I'll need to do this again several times before 2013 though!
  4. Create a piece of pottery from start to finish by myself  This isn't the only thing that I made, but it's the item that I'm the most proud of so far!
  5. Make a lemon meringue pie
  6. Practice my violin every day for a month
  7. Buy something from Etsy.com
  8. Organize my recipes
  9. Reread the Harry Potter series  I read the all in less than 6 weeks...once I started I couldn't put them down!
  10. Clean out my desk drawers  Yeah, this is another one I'll need to do again in the next 1001 days!
  11. See at least 3 plays at local theaters
    1. The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
  12. Buy a DSLR camera
  13. Eat at 10 new (to me) local restaurants
    1. Big Island Burrito (Indialantic)
    2. Beachside Cafe (Indialantic)
    3. Viera Pizza (Viera)
    4. Panita's (Indialantic)
    5. Riverview Diner (Palm Shores)
    6. Islands Fish Grill (Indialantic)
  14. Try a completely new cuisine  I had Ethiopian food in DC - so delicious!
  15. Knit a scarf  in progress
  16. Knit a hat
  17. Bake a loaf of bread from scratch
  18. Make all (or most all) of my Christmas presents one year I am going to count this one as completed, though I definitely didn't make them all.  I did make and give away lots of pottery, some soap, heart-shaped crayons, and even a tutu (to my niece.)
  19. Clean out the clothes in my closet that I don't wear
  20. Make Christmas stockings for the 3 of us  in progress
  21. Build a gingerbread house
  22. Carve a pumpkin Done! 
  23. Write a will Sort of done, but it's extremely basic. 
  24. Catch up on our anniversary trip scrapbook that I add to each year
  25. Finish all other incomplete scrapbooks
  26. Make a digital scrapbook
  27. Learn to juggle
  28. Finish redoing our room
  29. Buy an original painting  got one in Puerto Rico!
  30. Get the outside of the house painted
  31. Repaint the interior of the house  We did 2 bedrooms - now I just want to do the living/dining/kitchen
  32. Run a 5K race
  33. Read one of Hunter's science fiction books so he'll stop bugging me about it
  34. Go horseback riding  I rode a horse partway up a volcano in Guatemala, so I think that counts.
  35. Donate to NPR
  36. Find an amazing yard sale deal
  37. Reach my goal weight  I made major progress on this one but it's on obviously on hold now since I'm pregnant.  :)
  38. Visit a country where the official language is neither English nor Spanish
  39. Successfully grow something edible
  40. Make a picnic blanket  in progress
  41. Have a professional picture made of our family
  42. Have another baby  In the works!!!  Due 10/7/2011
  43. Go to SeaWorld ...kind of lame, but I've never been
  44. Go to Epcot with no kids
  45. See Les Miserables performed on stage
  46. Go on a trip with a friend
  47. Go to New York City 
  48. See a show on Broadway (can overlap with #45)
  49. Meet at least 3 of the "baby loss mamas" I've been talking to online for several years in person.  I've met one
  50. Go to Boston in the fall
  51. Visit 5 new states
  52. Sing in a choir again
  53. Make donuts (a special request from Hunter)
  54. Get 15 more graduate level hours of Spanish so I can teach at the college level  In Progress
  55. Visit 2 new countries
    1. Guatemala
  56. Visit a new continent  (These last two probably overlap with #38)
  57. Dye Easter eggs
  58. Get a new hair style that I am happy with
  59. Complete 30 of these goals by the time I turn 30
  60. Fly a kite I found this kite at a yard sale for $2!  Eleanor enjoyed watching it fly.
  61. At the end of my 1001 days, donate $10 to Heifer International for every task that I did not complete.
  62. Win something free - like Carl Kasell's voice on my voicemail!  Does a tshirt count?  I was hoping for something a bit more exciting.
  63. Get an organic produce box
  64. Take a flying lesson - yes, I mean flying a plane
  65. Buy fresh flowers for myself
  66. Have dinner by candlelight
  67. Make sushi
  68. Bake and decorate a cake
  69. Watch at least 3 foreign films
    1. Priceless (French)
    2. Heartbreaker (French)
  70. Actually come up with 101 goals
  71. Read at least 10 new books (That number is so low that it makes me sad, but that is life with kids...)
    1. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2/7)
    2. The Girl Who Played With Fire (2/14)
    3. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (3/1)
    4. Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell (3/28)
  72. Go kayaking
  73. Make a list of 100 things that I'm thankful for
  74. Go tubing
  75. Take Eleanor to Big Cat Rescue
  76. Have photos taken (of Eleanor) by an independent professional photographer
  77. Spend 10 minutes lifting light weights and doing ab exercises every day for a month
  78. Try out 10 recipes that are new to me
    1. Mexican Spaghetti Casserole
    2. Lemon Meringue Pie
    3. Quick herb bread
    4. Pasta with chicken and sun-dried tomatoes
  79. Tile the carpeted area of the downstairs of our house
  80. Tile our screened porch
  81. Get new furniture for the screened porch
  82. Go to a murder mystery dinner theater show
  83. Visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (at Universal)

8 comments:

Jen said...

#49 should be complete (somewhat) by the end of 2010 :)

This is an awesome idea and I think I'm going to start working on my list!

Bree said...

I can't believe you've never bought anything on etsy. It's so addicting. I always find cute stuff there. Though, you are so crafty, you can probably make a lot of stuff yourself.

re... #49, you've met me. :)

I want to work on one of these too.

Beth said...

Bree, you might notice that I fixed my list. I hadn't forgotten about meeting you of course, but I decided to make my list more specific. :)

Malou's Mama said...

I can help you with 38 and 49 - you can do both at the same time!

The Hawkins said...

Sounds like fun! Allen asked me last night if I would like to take a cooking class. Maybe I will make a list and cooking class will be on it.

Anonymous said...

Very cool idea. You should add "visit family in ky" for 2012 and I can help you with the horseback riding goal when you get here (if you're not pregnant by then!)
Oh, I made my first lemon meringue pie for father's day this year and it was pretty good but now my goal is to learn how to get the meringue peaks really high!!
-Kaycee

Jen said...

Congrats on the 17 pounds! Awesome!

Aunt Shannon said...

I would love to see you all, maybe you could plan a trip to Idaho. I know mom would love to see her Grandson, Hunter; her granddaughter-in-law, Beth and her great-granddaughter Eleanor. I think it would be awesome to see my Nephew and Niece-in-law and my Great Niece, plus I would love for you all to meet my husband. I wish you luck on completing your list, lots of good stuff on there.